Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Isla Vista: The Student Ghetto

After a couple days of prancing around the resort on our best behavior in our poshest clothes, we decided it was time to go back to visit our Santa Barbara roots.
Welcome to the most expensive student ghetto in the world, a crazy little place I like to call, Isla Vista.
If you remember a few posts ago, I mentioned that I went to college in Santa Barbara at UCSB.
Well, Isla Vista (IV) is the 1 square mile party mecca that all of the students claimed as their own, and I am proud to say I was one of them.
Words cannot describe the memories, stories, and marginally illegal times I've had here the past few years.
But if you can image about 15,000 kids between the ages of 18-24 all smacked in the middle of beach party paradise with no supervision, you can probably get a little bit of an idea of what goes down here...
For the sake of my dignity and reputation, I'll leave that to your imagination and just show you a little around town ;)






Del Playa: Where the magic happens











...Who can resist a swing?

This may be the Window to the Sea they were talking about

Classic IV

If you find a staircase here, it most likely leads to the ocean.



Pumped Up Kicks

& these were the WiFi networks when I looked at my phone.
The best one I ever saw in IV was, "Bring Beer for Password"


Being back here reminded me of the days where your bike was your livelihood, the weekend started on Thursday (even though it never really ended) and beer pong was the sport of choice. 
And it wasn't rare to see a couch burning in the street with a guy hurdling over it.
I spent the best years of my life here and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

P.S. If you really want to see the crazy side of Isla Vista then get ready to laugh.

31 comments :

  1. I want to be there!! Gorgeous pictures! xx

    http://www.timelessdifference.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I definitely recommend a visit, it's always a good time!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Me too! You should see it in person, it's even better =]

      Delete
  3. I love your photos! I've been to SF and San Diego, but I definitely need to make a few more trips to California.

    P.S. I was trying to respond to the comment you left on my blog, but you're a no-reply blogger. Here's a tutorial to fix that. :) http://www.venustrappedinmars.com/2013/06/google-ultimate-no-reply-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah there are so many places to explore in CA, it's great. Thank you for telling me I am a no reply blogger, I had no idea. Hopefully it is fixed now and people can reply to me!

      Delete
  4. makes me want to visit the beach sooo bad!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no better place to spend that day than at the beach in my opinion!

      Delete
  5. i can only imagine how fun that party must be! and now i want to go to the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a college town to say the least! I want to go to the beach right now too!

      Delete
  6. This place looks amazing. Too bad it's so far from here (Norway) :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's trade! Norway is amazing, I went to Tromsø last winter and fell in love with it even though I didn't see the sun for a whole week =P What part are you from?

      Delete
  7. Oh man, this seriously sounds like the best time ever. I'm doing a road trip down to cali this summer and will be hanging out down in that area. So excited!

    -Carly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you should for sure! It's always a good time, go to Free Birds in IV, it's the biggest baddest burrito I've ever had!

      Delete
  8. I'm in LA right now and just soaking it all in. Amazing that you get to be here all year round- jealous!

    www.carefulfeet.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except it was raining and humid all day today, so strange! I think living here has turned me into a weather snob haha Enjoy your time here, if I can recommend one thing to do in LA, it's eat at Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles in Hollywood. OMG heaven on a plate.

      Delete
  9. Oh I am so homesick for California right now! Amazing photos then you have to go and mention Roscoe's in the comment right above might... where's the nearest airport!! Great blog - excited to read more!!

    Regan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Roscoe's is definitely worth flying half way across the world for, in fact I think it makes the world go 'round, well at least my world haha
      Just read one of your blog posts, I think I'm a love refugee too, I'm frequently making trip to the UK for a special someone!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for visiting! It's a weird and wonderful experience actually moving to a new country for someone... good luck if you try it!

      Delete
  10. jealous doesn't even cover how this post makes me feel hehe xx

    http://www.adayinmywheels.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on over to CA, I swear you won't regret it!
      You have a new follower on bloglovin

      Delete
  11. This is so beautiful! I'm beyond jealous, I was suppose to move to Cali a few months back but ended up staying over this way for a job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't mind me asking, where's this way?
      I just looked at your blog and I kinda love how it's hilariously raw and real. Plus, I can't believe you found a boat with a mustache!

      Delete
  12. What a fun time you had in California! These pictures are all so beautiful, I love visiting Cali. I'm from AZ so, luckily, I'm able to visit often! So glad I found you through the blog hop! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Born and bred here, so I guess you could say I'm somewhat partial to it :]
      I'm glad you found my blog too! Your blog is really fun, I just started following it on bloglovin!

      Delete
  13. I think this is the 3rd Cali post I've read today. It's official...I need to get myself there for a visit! Great photos, girl!

    Thanks for linking up to the Fresh Face Friday blog hop today! I so appreciate it!!! Happy weekending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I guess its a hot topic right now haha
      Thanks for hosting the blog hop! I found a lot of cool blogs to follow!

      Delete
  14. These photos were soothing to my soul! My parents were both from Los Angeles (Torrance and Palos Verdes) and even though I wasn't born in California, I've always felt like a California girl at heart, well, if not by geography then by genetics. Thanks for posting these. I loved seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly,
      Thank you for the compliment! I'm glad my pictures can bring someone happiness. I agree on the genetics idea, California runs through your blood. Have a great weekend, from one California girl to another =]

      Delete
  15. Your photos are great and the beach looks great! Georgia, www.lumublog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just checked out your blog and it's really cute =] following you on bloglovin now!

      Delete

Okay, I'm done talking now it's your turn =]