Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Nautical Nonsense

I was invited on a sunset cruise the other day, so of course I went...
A Yacht and cocktails? Sign me up!
We all met at the Balboa Bay Club to board The Fighting Irish (that name of the boat)
It was docked at the end of the row so we had to walk past a few boats on the way, and let me tell you, these things are giants.





Hey I heard you liked boats so I put a boat on your boat.

The sun was shinning and there was a nice ocean breeze, it was the perfect day for a boat ride!
Once we boarded everyone was chatting with a drink in one hand a an appetizer in the other.
I went straight for the upper deck because I love a good view in the sun.
Unfortunately I had to climb this ladder in a dress to get there :O






I really wanted to press those buttons.

We hung out and BBQ'd  for about an hour to before setting sail.
It was fun to watch the other boats and paddle boarders go by, casually exchanging waves and cheers.






It was time to hit the high seas.
Full speed ahead captain!

& Yes, this boat came with a crew (complete with a captain, a skipper and a server)
Not too shabby.
We started out mellow just going around the harbor seeing the sights.
I was pretty excited.




Richard Branson's pontoon boat, owner of Virgin.

I don't even know how this thing is still floating, it looks ancient.

This boat was also named The fighting Irish, I guess it's the big brother.







We all wore stripes!



After getting our fill of the gentle harbor cruise, we buckled in and headed for the open ocean.
I could immediately tell the difference, the water was very choppy and things were flying all over the place.
We were hitting waves head on making the boat jump in the air over and over again.
I was sitting on the front of the boat getting sprayed by the waves and holding on for dear life.
I tried to get up to go inside but I soon learned walking in these conditions was nearly impossible so I sat right back down.


And then there were these crazy guys that thought this would be the perfect time for a Titanic moment yelling, "I'm King of the World"
Yes, they were literally balancing on the metal railing on the front of the boat...

The captain finally slowed down the boat and everyone turned themselves up right again.
We found out why we had been going so fast though...

To catch up with the pod of dolphins!
Fun Fact: it's incredibly hard to take pictures of dolphins on a moving boat...

There were so many!
They were swimming with the boat going under and along the sides.
I looked down and I could see the dolphins literally keeping up with the speed of the boat as it motored through the water, such a cool experience.
The captain told me he saw a whale spout in the distance but unfortunately he was never to be seen again.
After the dolphin chase we headed back to Newport harbor.

Upon our return we were greeted by this Big Ol' Mississippi River boat



Ever wonder how they park boats?


A Tugboat!







After a delicious dinner, we sat back, relaxed and cruised into the sunset.
Perfect ending to the perfect day.

What kind of nonsense are you getting up to this weekend?

19 comments :

  1. how fun is this! gorgeous boats and lovely photos! XO
    the well-traveled wife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was really fun, I was amazed by the boats they were so grand!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed watching your photos! Looks like you had a great day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was such a great time. I really like your blog, it's so fresh!

      Delete
  3. Awesome pictures! Hope you had a blast! xx

    http://www.timelessdifference.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesoem photos! you guys had a lot of fun!

    http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I had that same ferris wheel in my post a few days ago :) it is so beautiful there! I love going through all of your amazing photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kayli! Did you get a chance to go on it? it goes surprisingly fast for such a little thing. I really liked those posts btw!

      Delete
  6. Ummm always yes to yachts and drinks :) And holy balls on his boat! Buuuut for whatever reason that makeshift sailboat sticks out to me and is so darling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Pelicans do get crafty down here...

      Delete
  7. Love your pictures - this looks like such a blast!!! Sailing and drinks, what could be better??

    The Casual Classic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I wish I could do it everyday! And thank you!!

      Delete
  8. you have such great pictures! love that floppy hat :)

    Jessi

    www.mywhiteT.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Jessi! It's the only hat I own. I just recently bought it, I'm starting to warm up to hats I suppose haha

      Delete
  9. Hey, just found your blog from a link on another one I follow. I've just started travel blogging too, but yours is wayyyy better than mine. Will start following on Bloglovin' :)

    Backpacks & Broken Cameras

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thanks so much Robert! yeah i really have no idea what i'm doing, just kinda guessing as I go along! and I just checked it out and I really like your blog!

      Delete
  10. ooo those last two photos rock. pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Okay, I'm done talking now it's your turn =]