Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Thirst Quenching Napa Valley







































I'm a big fan of business trips.
I've only been on a few so far but from what I can tell, they are right up my alley.
Overtime pay, getting paid to fly, delicious meals paid for by the company, drinking with co-workers, meeting new people, staying in a nice hotel, room service, a change of surroundings.
What's not to love?
It definitely beats sitting in the office 9-5 staring at a computer screen in my opinion.
Last week I was sent on a business trip to Napa Valley, needless to say I was stoked.
Having never been there before, I wasn't exactly sure what I was in for, however an all expense paid trip to a world famous wine region in exchange for some work sounded like a good deal to me.
So I packed my bags and headed for the airport.
When I got to the gate I realized that I had completely forgotten to check into my flight the night before.
 As I was awaiting to hear my fate from the airport attendant, my stomach sank with the notion that this whole trip could all go down the drain.
Thankfully, somebody had cancelled last minute so I was able to board the fully booked flight.
Bullet dodged. Close one.
Once I landed, there was still a small drive to to Napa from the airport, which was cool because I got to see a foggy Golden Gate Bridge across the bay in the distance!
I took a picture but pictures taken with a cell phone from the backseat of a car on the freeway do not exactly make for the best quality photographs...so just use your imagination.
About 45 minutes later the fog had cleared, the sun was shinning bright and there were grape vines as far as the eye could see in every direction.




I finally reached The Meritage, the gorgeous resort and winery that I was staying at for the next few days.
When I got to my room to settle in, I saw that there was a cheese plate and bottle of wine waiting for me, snazzy.

Brie, Goat, Gorgonzola, Dates, Walnuts, Honey Comb


The bed was pretty cool too.
Does anyone else get the urge to jump on big perfectly made beds when they see them? No, just me? Okay, moving on...
I've realized that I get super excited about staying at hotels, like I think it's probably not normal but I always get this rush of excitement when I get to the room and open the door for the first time, like I'm half expecting to see something magical that I've never experienced before.
Next I ran over and flung the curtains open to see the view from the balcony, naturally.


I approve.

Unfortunately I actually had to do some work while I was there, I guess that the "business" part of the trip.
But fast forward a few hours later and I was finally free to explore the beautiful rolling hills and maybe have a glass of wine or three.
I decided to go on a walk in the vineyard because I wanted to get up close and personal with those famous Napa grapes.
The path was closed due to construction yada yada yada, but I may have snuck in anyways, shhhhhhh













Has the names and date of a couple to be married there soon

This looked like a confused artichoke.

I got a little off the beaten path, but it was so peaceful I just kept walking...


I love finding old forgotten things







I eventually found my way back an made it to the top of the hill.
When I turned around to go back down, I realized that I was completely lost and had no idea how to get back down to the bottom.
Since the area was technically closed, there was nobody around to ask or casually follow.
So I had to fend for myself.
I couldn't find the path so I made my own and took the unconventional way which involved alot of winding and weaving my way through the vines.
At the bottom, I found a lovely little tasting room built into the hill called, The Cave.

This cave was filled the best kind of treasures, mainly golds and rubies.










I met up with my boss and the president of the company for some wine tasting (no pressure, right?)
To quote Bridesmaids, my first impression was, "Oh, man! This is some classy shit here..."
No joke, every single wine I had was better than the last. 
Those little grapes on the hill are definite future champions, because those that went before them are made of greatness.
So great in fact, I drank almost all of it before I remembered to take a picture...


The night ended in a delicious 5 course meal thanks to my company's very generous president.
However I did not take any pictures of the food because I was at a table with about 7 really important people in my company.
I actually tried to take an incognito picture with my phone when the first course came out but the auto flash went off and I was super embarrassed, so that was the end of that.
After a couple more glasses of wine we said our good nights and headed back to our rooms.
I instantly crawled into my big squishy bed and fell asleep.

...Like I said, I'm a big fan of business trips.


42 comments :

  1. Great Post and beautiful,artistic photos...Cheers!
    Greetings from Sicily the home of vineyards!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have been to Italy and drank my fair share of wine, it is delicious!!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, that looks so nice. Good you found your way back, you might have missed the winetasting, haha.
    Looks like it was a nice trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, hat would have been terrible haha I hope I can go back soon!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely beautiful photos! I really wish I had a job that let me take business trips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Natashalh! It is definitely a nice perk of the job =]

      Delete
  4. work trips are seriously the best in the west! I am so jealous of your trip...napa is somewhere i need to go asap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really beautiful there, I wish I could have had more time to explore. You should definitely make a trip =]

      Delete
  5. 3 things I loved about this post.....
    -your love of hotels ( I love em too)
    -your desire to jump on big nicely done beds (I do it compulsively)
    -you quoting bridesmaids (awesome movie)

    Jo
    Peonies and American Honey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I'm glad someone else understands how great these things are too! & Bridesmaids is just hilarious all around.

      Delete
  6. Really a beautiful place, natural, fresh especially for a romantic tour or couples. I suggest Spain to the wine tours and see the Wineries and crops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to travel so business trips would be an amazing way to see places and go anywhere. Unfortunately for me it's not needed in my line of work so for now I have to travel on my own dime ;)

    Napa looks beautiful, and it must have been so nice to dwell around in the vineyard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was cool to see the grapes that make the wine. At least when you travel on your own dime you don't have to do any work and can spend the whole time exploring :]

      Delete
  8. Hey - great post! Napa looks amazing, I hope I get the chance to visit sometime. By the way, and tell me to mind my own business if this is totally too intrusive (it probably is), but what do you do? Just curious (or nosey) :)

    Backpacks & Broken Cameras

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks! and no problem, I work for a property management company, they own resorts in some pretty nice places in CA so I get to go on business trips to them sometimes and stay at the resorts =]

      Delete
  9. ummm...this is an amazing business trip! who gets sent to napa for business? love it! gorgeous pics! XO
    the well-traveled wife

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems like a pretty good business trip! I would love to go to Napa Valley.

    Brigita,
    http://lostinpattern.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. ah, love love love. You're making me miss home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully you'll get to visit soon, such a gorgeous place!

      Delete
  12. Ahh that cheese plate! paired with wine?! OMG yes please!

    Teffy || Teffys Perks Blog
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, I'ma fan. They're doing it right there haha

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I highly recommend a visit, it is quite amazing =]

      Delete
  14. Love this! Looks absolutely fabulous and such fun.

    RUNNINGINPLATFORMS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really want to go back, it was so much fun!

      Delete
  15. great pictures! like them a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. It really is! You should visit if you get the chance =]

      Delete
  17. How beautiful! We have a number of wine regions in Australia but the Nappa Valley looks stunning. And how nice to be there on a work trip - lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Australian wine! Shiraz, Zins you name it I probably like it! I've always wanted to visit Aus, I will trade you spots haha

      Delete
  18. Wow this looks so dreamy! Great photos.
    splashofsilk.blogspot.com
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is quite dreamy! I love your blog thanks for the link, new bloglovin follower =]

      Delete
  19. I am so jealous! I would love to do little adventures like this with my husband! One day we will!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely worth missing a few days of work and normal life to explore a little, i've found out =]

      Delete
  20. Just came across your blog randomly and I love it!
    I'm actually heading over to Cali tomorrow (I'm from Toronto, Canada) and am visiting Napa Valley as well :) so thank you for this post! Now I have something to look forward too haha

    Also, I 100% know how it feels to not be able to take photos of the food when eating in a professional setting! I run into that problem all the time when I go out with work! Hahah

    Can't wait to read more of your posts! xx

    Karen, sincerelykn.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found my blog and you enjoy it! I'm sure you will have a relaxing and delicious time in Napa, it's hard not to when you are surrounded by such great settings! Enjoy your time here in CA =]

      Delete
  21. This looks like heaven! Straight to the top of places I need to visit in America! Lovely blog. Harriet xx

    ReplyDelete

Okay, I'm done talking now it's your turn =]